skip to Main Content
Tel: 0861 100 999 | Mission Control - Login


Lesley-Anne asked 2 years ago

I have a judgement on my name that I would like to pay up. I have contacted the attorneys and they told me the account is no longer with them and that they will call me back with a fee I need to pay to them and then I should phone the credit provider to obtain a balance. Do I need to pay both these amounts? Seeing that the account is no longer with the attorney. I need to get all the old debt paid up as I would like to apply for a bond soon.
Please advise?

1 Answers
Matthys Potgieter Staff answered 2 years ago

Hi there

It could be that the attorneys levied some costs and fees against your account which never got paid.

I would suggest that you ask them for a statement of account to determine what the outstanding balance is for. Also, make contact with your credit provider to find out what is going on. It does not make sense for the attorneys to hand the account back to the credit provider if there is still an outstanding balance.

When you have the correct information, pay the judgement as soon as possible and obtain a paid-up letter from both the attorneys and the credit provider. You can then send that through to the credit bureaus. The latest Credit Act Amendments states that once a judgment is settled in full the listing must be removed from your credit profile. This will allow your credit profile to recover. Give it about 3 – 6 months to recover.

Kind regards