skip to Main Content
Tel: 0861 100 999 | Mission Control - Login

Cancelled Debt Review

Questions & AnswersCategory: Debt ReviewCancelled Debt Review
Anonymous asked 3 years ago

Good evening.

I am in desperate need of advice, as I am not getting any from the NCR directly.

Both my husband and I were placed under debt review in 2009. Everything ran smoothly with the occasional calls from our debtors and threatening letters. I would just refer them to my debt counsellor at the time, and then everything went smoothly again – until next time. Our debt counsellor has closed their doors in 2013, and since then we are being harassed by ABSA and Standard Bank. That was the same time when I lost my job as well as, plus my husband has been unemployed for some time. Struggling to make ends meet, we paid into the debt review as much as we could. They threaten to take our house and expect me to pay extreme amounts or else …

I have contacted the NCR directly, as well as send them all the documentation they have requested, but still no answer or any assistance. I am not sure what route to take now but I don’t want to give up.

Is there anyone that can maybe assist me or give me advice in the way forward – I am completely confused now and extremely desperate for advice.

1 Answers
Matthys Potgieter Staff answered 3 years ago

Hi there, 

Thank you for your question. 

It is very unfortunate that you lost your employment. As I am sure you have experienced, it is difficult to remain under debt review if you are unemployed. You need a regular and consistent source of income in order to make the periodic payments to you credit providers. 

Unfortunately your creditors are well within their rights to still demand payment, regardless of the fact that you are unemployed. Your best bet would be to keep negotiating with them to see if they can offer you some sort of breathing space for a few months. Pay them as far as you can, and search for employment vigorously. If too much time passes and you still do not have employment, they will summons you. You will then be able to explain to the court that you are unemployed, and you can ask the court that they give you 3-6 months to find a job. Do not stay away and ignore a summons. Show up at the court and state your case. 

You are welcome to send your details to [email protected] to discuss your options going forward. 

Have a great day.